Martha Furnace is not only geographically connected with Bass River Township, but many Bass River residents found employment there. Henry H. Bisbee's “Martha- The Complete Furnace Diary & Journal: 1808 – 1815” has many notations regarding Bass River and Bass River residents who worked at the Furnace town. At the time of the furnace's operation, Martha was in Little Egg Harbor Township and the "Bass River" referred to in the diary was a neighborhood in Little Egg Harbor Township centered around the present day Pilgrim Lake Campground area. Martha Furnace became a part of Bass River Township, in 1864, when the township was formed from Little Egg Harbor and part of Washington Township.
Bass River Township Quaker Meeting Houses were built at Bass River Neck and, later, at Bridgeport in the early 1800's. We are thankful that the Quakers took and maintained Meeting Minutes related to these Meeting Houses.
The Lizzie Bell, a 42 ton two masted schooner, captained by Wallace French from Bass River, was built in a Bass River ship yard in 1884. Take a look at her documentation papers here. Such a complete collection regarding a single ship is rare.