E.M. Woodward wrote a "History of Burlington County, New Jersey" in 1883. Much of his Chapter XXI on Bass River Township was taken from Leah Blackman's writings; however, Woodward includes some interesting information that does not appear in Blackman's writings. Woodward's "History of Burlington County, New Jersey" is available for reference at the Bass River Townhip Community Library.
"Eric Mullica And His Descendants" by Charles J. Werner, New Gretna, N.J., 1930 - Chapter III; "Bridges, Dams, Etc., on the Mullica River and Its Tributaries" provides great information on major bridges in Bass River Township and the surrounding area.
An informative chapter on the 1943 Bass River Township School District, written by Dr. Louis J. Kaser, County Superintent of Schools, appeared in "A Story of the Public Schools of Burlington County, New Jersey" which is available for reference at the Bass River Township Community Library.
Harvey Moore's "AN OLD JERSEY FURNACE", published in 1943, gives an excellent overview of the iron town of Martha and is an good companion reading to the "Martha Furnace Diary". A "must read" in understanding how the old South Jersey iron furnaces functioned.
OF BATSTO AND BOG IRON:
"OF BATSTO AND BOG IRON" by Jack E. Boucher, 36 pages, published by the Batsto Citizens Committee in 1964, presents a brief history and overview of Batsto.
Township and County boundaries have changed over the years. "The Story of New Jersey's Civil Boundaries, 1606-1968" by J.P. Snyder (New Jersey Bureau of Geology and Topography, 1969) outline these changes, by date. Click below to see the boundary changes for Bass River Township, the surrounding communities, and Burlington and Ocean Counties.
"The Origin of New Jersey Place Names" was written in 1938 as part of the Federal Writers' Program of the Work Project Administration in the State of New Jersey. This is a reprint issued by the New Jersey State Library Commission in 1945. See what they say about "New Gretna".
Lucy Evans, who was a minister in the Little Egg Harbor Friends Meeting and later the Bridgeport Friends Meeting, is discussed in Henry H. Bisbee's introduction to "Martha- The Complete Furnace Diary & Journal: 1808-1815".Lucy's husband, Jesse, was the Iron Master at Martha at the time the diary was written. There's an interesting twist, as Jesse Evan's second wife was also named Lucy Ann. The "Martha Diary" is available for reference and check out at the Bass River Townhip Community Library.