Leah Blackman wrote the definitive history of our local area with the publishing of her "History of Little Egg Harbor Township" in 1880. The Great John Mathis Foundation republished Blackman's work in 1963 in an unsuccessful attempt to raise funds for the restoration of the Great John Mathis house located on the bank of the Bass River. Thanks to their efforts, Leah's book is still available today.
The Tuckerton Historical Society published additional Blackman writings, in 2000, in a work called "Leah Blackman's Old Times and Other Writings".
Following are exerpts from both books pertaining to Bass River Township. [HLEH = "History of Little Egg Harbor" & LBOT = "Leah Blackman's Old Times and Other Writings"] The books are available for reference and check out at the Bass River Township Community Library and available for sale at the Tuckerton Historical Society..
1. Brief history of the Bass River area of Little Egg Harbor.